Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Trip to the ATL


Last week we were lucky enough to have a little break before starting classes again.  Yeah, I know: one week.  Hey, I'll take what I can get.

Weston and I wanted to spend a little quality time with his grandparents, aunt, and uncle before heading off to Michigan (where I surprised my mom for Mother's Day).  I had to include a little picture of my daily breakfast - how cute is that?  Weston's grandmom is the sweetest lady ever  - she's the perfect Southern hostess :)

One of the days we travelled into the city and got to experience some of the more touristy attractions.  Well, one attraction: the Coca Cola Factory.  It was a little over-the-top in terms of advertising goes - I was expecting more history and less "GO GET A COKE NOW." For $16 a person, I would hope for more quality exhibits.  But it was fun anyway - I liked the tasting part and the gift shop had a lot of cool retro posters and things.

We also went to Weston's would-be alma mater: Emory (he transferred to Michigan where he met MOI after his freshman year).  A quaint place, I must say.  Much smaller than UM.  I tried to not make comparisons and just enjoy the campus and it's charm.  A lot of things had changed since Weston went there, he said, but it was nice learning about a part of him from the pre-Sheston era.

Lunch was at Doc Chey's - a noodle joint a little bit outside of the heart of campus.  It was nummy nummy!!! We started with fried spring rolls - not greasy and the dipping sauce was nice and spicy.


I got the Pad Thai which Weston felt was different than what we're used to.  I personally think Pad Thai is one of those dishes that each restaurant puts it's own spin on.  I liked this one: served with lime and full of chunks of chicken, scallions, and eggs.  I almost never see the egg so that was a nice touch - as were the bean sprouts.  My only concern was that the noodles didn't seem super fresh.  I have a feeling they use the same noodles for all their dishes so they make them ahead of time.



Weston got the same dish he used to get 4 years ago: the black bean noodles.  They were really good - quite spicy actually.  But the sauce was flavorful and the veggies were fresh.  In terms of portions - both were generous.  I can see why he loved this place so much - and I want to re-visit!


Since classes have started again I've been cooking up a storm - look for new recipes later this week.  I also want to share a couple awesome finds from a recent grocery shopping trip ;)

1 comment:

  1. I love love love Doc Chey's pad Thai! Glad you got to try it!

    ReplyDelete