Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Persian Chicken - Minus the Goodies

The other day I went on a cooking spree - I made the butternut squash that's been sitting in the fridge for some time. I originally wanted to put it in some risotto, but decided to roast it instead: yum yum roasted squash. I just peeled it and cut it into little pieces. Then I tossed it in olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. 425 degrees until cooked through and slightly crisp.

Then I got a little creative and decided to try my hand at recreating my mom's Persian chicken. This is usually served with yogurt sauce and caramelized onion, carrots, and fried raisins and nuts - which I did not have. So I just seasoned it with what she uses.

I sliced a couple onions and layered them into a Pyrex dish. After defrosting about a half pound of chicken thighs I put them on top, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cinnamon, and turmeric. Then I baked it for about 20 minutes until the chicken was cooked through. The onions pick up all the yummy flavors of the chicken and vice versa.

It ended up being a super simple dinner and if I had some yogurt and nuts and raisins, it would be an over-the-top meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment