Saturday, March 10, 2012

Hash Breakfast


This hash has come to be known as a bit of a specialty of mine. I invented it one day because I was missing the days when Weston and I used to cook together. I'd usually take control in the kitchen, but there was one dish I never had the patience to make: hash. Weston, on the other hand, has an enormous quantity of patience (good thing for me) and so when a recipe requires one to sit over the pan and stir and stir...and stir, he's the man for the job.

Now that I'm alone, though, I had to take on that role. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I just parked my tuchus near the stove and studied histology while waiting for the potatoes to cook. I'd recommend making this meal in bulk because it is super tasty and for the amount of work you're going through to make it, you really should make a lot.

What you need:

1/2 pound of ham, cubed
5-6 potatoes, washed and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 jar roasted red bell peppers in water
2 onions, chopped
garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste

What you do:

With only a few ingredients, that makes caramelization and flavor development the key to a good dish.

Fry the onions until they are wilted and slightly translucent. Add the potato and fry and fry and fry until the potato is cooked through. This takes about 25 minutes. Alternatively, you could just pre-boil the potato and then cut it, but then you run the risk of over-boiling and having a big mushy mess.

After the potatoes are cooked, season with you spices and add the bell pepper and ham.

Continue to cook until the hash has a nice rosy tinge to it. This tells you the ingredients are melding together.

You can continue to fry until some of the potatoes develop a crunch (making this a crispy hash), or serve it as is. I dotted the top of mine with a little goat cheese which added a lot of flavor and a tangy pop.



No comments:

Post a Comment