Monday, February 6, 2012

So You Say You Love Pumpkin?


I've been looking for a new breakfast idea and muffins have been on my mind lately. And I've had a can of pumpkin in the cupboard for a while now and thought it'd be fun to try making pumpkin muffins loaded with cinnamon and nutmeg. The results were good, but not great and I'd make a few modifications next time - see below.

I got the recipe here but I've added my revisions in:

Ingredients

  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 can canned pumpkin
  • 1/3 cup fat-free milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • Cooking spray
  • Brown sugar - for sprinkling

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine flour thru salt in a large bowl.

Combine pumpkin through eggs and add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Don't over-mix!


Spoon the batter into 18 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle the tops with brown sugar.

Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately; cool on a wire rack.

I found the muffins a little dry, so I might have added sour cream to the batter to loosen it up a little. Also, some cranberries would have been a tasty addition.


No comments:

Post a Comment