Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Long Anticipated Brunch at Millie's


Millie’s in The Bottom has been touted as the best brunch spot in Richmond so when my friend and I were undecided as to where to go for brunch last weekend, I quickly suggested we give it a try.  I was really excited and did my research beforehand: I checked foodie blogs, contacted a local foodie friend, and read the menu to narrow down the options that I liked best. 





We got there right when they opened and there was still a bit of a wait.  It went by really quickly, though and before I knew it we were being shooed into a booth.  I wish I’d had a little more time to look around since we were seated in the side room (the one that’s not part of the bar).  I did manage to catch a glimpse of the kitchen, which is literally to the right of the door.  Just hanging out.  Free as a bird.

I was a little taken aback at how abrupt the servers were.  Don’t get me wrong – they were nice, they just seemed to be rushing us to get in and get out.  But that’s how some local RVA joints operate, I suppose.  Millie’s doesn’t do substitutions, by the way, so don’t try and ask for fruit instead of potatoes or white bread instead of wheat.  I had read this on the menu beforehand and wasn’t going to push my luck once I got there.

I decided I was going to get one of their many “messes” and pass on a drink – although I hear they are pretty good.  I have been craving a Bloody Mary lately, but am just not going to spend $7 on one.  Especially when my meal cost $11.  The mess I chose was the “Cajun” one because I’ve also been wanting some seafood and a little somthin’ spicy.  The others at my table got their “Veggie mess,” the “Cuban mess,” and their Eggs Benedict (which was way too sinful for me since it’s served on a croissant and not an English muffin). 

My mess was good – you could definitely taste the white cheddar and there was a lot of seafood.  The only thing that got me was that the texture was a little mushy.  I get it, I get it: the idea of a mess is to cook the eggs with the add-ins and stir and stir so it because a giant pile of goodness.  But come parts of my portion was really, really chopped up – to the point where I didn’t have to chew.  That was weird.  You should chew your seafood.  But the portion was really big and the flavor was there so I was a happy camper. All entrees come with a side of potatoes which were, in my opinion, the star of the brunch.  They were spicy and crispy and well seasoned.  I especially liked how they have Siracha sauce on the table for you to use instead of ketchup. 

The final bill for the four of us came to about $50 I think – so, reasonable for a brunch spot.  Was it the best in Richmond?  I still think Perly’s gets it.  But I’m biased and I admit it.  I love their omelets.  And the biscuits.  And the breakfast potatoes.  And the fact that they let you sit and catch up with friends for hours and hours.  In fact, Gray will stop by and chat you up too.  And that, dear readers, is the best way to start the day.

2 comments:

  1. tracy.rose@healthline.comDecember 17, 2012 at 7:26 PM

    Hi Sheila,

    Healthline is interested in contributing a guest post to fdcooking.blogspot.com. We would be open to contributing any blog that would be of interest to your readers. Healthline bloggers have been featured on a variety of sites including:

    Washington Times: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/tango-mind-and-emotion/2012/aug/10/how-healthy-choices-easy/
    Natural News: http://www.naturalnews.com/036515_diabetes_strawberries_prevention.html
    Patch.com: http://strongsville.patch.com/blog_posts/where-and-what-to-eat-in-cleveland-to-beat-the-winter-blues

    Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

    Warm Regards,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate abrupt servers, eck!

    happy new year! Xo Megan, www.TfDiaries.com

    now following - loving your blog

    ReplyDelete