Saturday, August 25, 2012

Zingermann's


Zingermann's Deli in Ann Arbor is legendary. They used to only be a deli, but now the Zingermann's brand has expanded to include a mail order empire, a Bakeshop, a Creamery, a Coffeeshop, and a Roadhouse.  Zingermann's prides itself on quality customer service and they really do deliver on their promise.  The last time I went to the Roadhouse I was given a super-charred rack of ribs and they went right away to the kitchen and replaced them with ones that were better prepared.

What I love most about Zingermann's is that the owner, Ari, is ALWAYS at one of the restaurants.  He takes so much pride in his work.  And he doesn't just schedule reservations - he goes from table to table, filling water glasses and chatting up customers.  It reminds me of a lot of the local Richmond restaurants (Perly's, for example).

Zingermann's sammies are highly touted and normally, I don't buy into the hype. They search the world for their ingredients and find unique foods and things, but they also charge you an arm and a leg. Their sandwiches will run you about $15 each.  They ARE good, though.  The sandwich featured about was the Zingermann's Reuben.  They make the saurkraut fresh and the pastrami too, I'm assuming.  Or they got it from some place really special.  I actually had a gift card so I didn't feel bad at all for purchasing this $17 whopper of a sandwich.  I split it with my best friend, Alyssa when we went to blueberry picking.

The mac and cheese is also fantastic.  I actually think it's the best I've ever had at a restaurant.  They put Greyere and a couple other Mountain cheeses in it. I once emailed them to ask which ones, but I've since deleted the email when I changed addresses.  Note to self.  Email Zingermann's...

No comments:

Post a Comment