Tuesday, May 22, 2012

German Apple Cake



When I visited Atlanta I knew I couldn't arrive empty-handed - especially after I found out it was Weston's grandmother's birthday.  I decided to re-vamp my pound cake recipe to include apples, which I know she really likes.  The result was a denser cake (I didn't use as many eggs or as much fat) with a tasty filling.  I call it German Apple Cake because Weston's grandfather said it reminded him of the cake he had while their family lived in Germany years ago.

What You Need:

1 1/2 stick butter
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 vanilla
1/4 baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup yogurt
4 eggs

4 apples, peeled and sliced thin
3 Tbs brown sugar
spritz of lemon juice
pinch of salt

What You Do:

In a saucepan mix the second set of ingredients and cook down until the apples are soft. 

In a mixing bowl cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla.

Add the eggs, one at a time. Then the yogurt.

Add the dry ingredients and stir just to combine.

Layer 1/3 of the mixture into a greased bundt pan, then arrange the apples over that.  Save 10 or 12 slices to make the top pretty.

Smooth the rest of the batter over the apples and arrange the top with the reserved apples.




Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.




2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, Sheila! I will definitely have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I hope it goes well for you! It freezes nicely, too, so you can bake ahead.

    ReplyDelete