Monday, February 20, 2012

Quiche Lorraine



I've always kind of loved quiche - but every time I talked about making one my mom used to tell me that it was full of fat and calories. Now, though, I know now that eating in moderation is the key to anything and after 11 years of holding off, I think I've built up enough points to finally make a glorious quiche.

Jeremy had a lot of leftover eggs from a previous baking adventure gone slightly awry so he invited me along to make a yummy quiche. We decided on a smoked ham and Gruyere with caramelized onions. I'd been thinking up that combination for a while and was going to incorporate it into a mac and cheese, but then when I heard he wanted to make quiche, I thought nothing could be better.

Since the grocery store was out of pie crusts, we used puff pastry instead. Yeah, I don't want to hear it. This is a dish that will help you reach your calories quota for the day, so eat it in the afternoon :)

I got the recipe here: but mainly just used it as a base and added whatever I wanted:

You Need:

5 eggs
2 cups whole milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder

Mix these ingredients together and set aside.

Allow the puff pastry to thaw and layer in one sheet into the bottom of a quiche dish.

Take about 1/4 pound of Gruyere (a small hunk is fine), and cut it into thin slices. Arrange these on the bottom of the quiche pan.

Take one slice of a good smoked ham, cut it into small cubes, and fry it just to caramelize it slightly. Sprinkle this over the cheese and pour the egg mixture over top if it.

Finally, fry one large onion until it is golden and add this to the top of the quiche.

Bake at 425 degrees for about 2 minutes - until the top is slightly set. Take the quiche out and criss-cross the top with the second layer of puff pastry. Turn down the oven and bake an additional 45 minutes, or until the quiche is set and the puff pastry is golden brown.



Let the quiche cool for about 15 minutes and serve immediately! It is soooo good - this is one of my recipe highlights for the year so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment