Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sneaky Mac and Cheese


I've posted on Mac and Cheese many a time, I'll admit - but that's probably because I am just so dang proud that a couple years ago I learned how to make a rue. It changed my life, y'all, and it'll change yours. The other day while making a yummy spicy version of this comfort food, I thought it needed some extra punch, so I threw in a little secret ingredient. Not only did it make the flavor better, it also added a nice rosy glow. And that's when I thought - this would be GREAT for moms who want to sneak in some veggies and make their homemade version look more like the box kind (although that orange powder kinda creepy me out). Can you guess what it was?

If you don't want to read the whole post, the kicker is to just throw in a 1/2 cup of a non-chunky tomato sauce (or chunky if it's for non-picky eaters) into your end product. There you go. Surprise!

If you want the full recipe, here it is - and it is different then my others so definitely worth a look-see:

In a large saucepan melt 2 Tbs of butter. Add 1/4 cup flour and cook until the two come together.

Add 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of sour cream (this is the secret to a great tangy mac and cheese)

Let this thicken up - keep whisking and it'll happen pretty quickly. Season with salt, pepper, and a squirt of Dion mustard.

Add about 8 oz or so of a hot Jack cheese - I like to get the spiciest I can find because it is mellowed out by the cream sauce. Stir this in over medium-low heat and then add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.

I store the cheese sauce separate from the noodles and just use it as-needed. This way I have a perfect, creamy bowl of macaroni and cheese whenever I want. I find a ratio of 1/4 cup cream sauce to 1 cup dry pasta is really nice.

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmm!!! This is one of my fave comfort foods - but who doesn't LOVE a big ol' bowl of mac n cheese? I'll definitely try this next time. Thanks for sharing!

    All the best in your studies!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah :) I am totally in love with Mac and Cheese from scratch - I love trying new cheese combos. Happy cooking! And thanks for the well wishes.

    ReplyDelete