Thursday, May 19, 2011

Light and Fluffy Cornbread



Lately I've been experimenting with cornbread. Since trips to the grocery store are limited without a car, I've been coming up with creative ways to revamp traditional dishes. Take, for example, the simple cornbread recipe. There are so many variations to chose from: this week I chose to make a savory and a sweet sampling.

The first recipe I used was inspired by the cornbread Weston's grandmother makes:

1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt, sprinkle of pepper, and some chopped garlic
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 egg
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 tsp sage

Mix everything but the sage together and pour into a sprayed cake pan. Then sprinkle the sage over the whole thing and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. I like this with chicken or stew - and I ate it without thinking to take a photo so sorry about that.

For the sweet version try this:

1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup water
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 egg
2/3 cup brown sugar

Bake for the same amount of time at 375 degrees, too. For some reason this combination gives you a really light and fluffy cornbread - almost like a cake. It is delicious and moist - perfect to eat plain or with a little whipped cream and strawberries. I think even a good stew would taste good with this. I'll try it tonight :)


No comments:

Post a Comment