Friday, January 23, 2015

Coconut Chili Fish Stew

Want to know a secret? I don’t think I’ve ever actually tasted fish curry. But somehow I’ve been craving it. I’ve been craving seafood in general, actually. I think fish is a simple way to get variety and nutrients into your diet. Kind of like roasted vegetables: spice both up with lemon and fresh herbs and you have an easy, delicious meal.

I made this curry the other night and found it to be quite tasty. Keep in mind that when you use ingredients that are heavier bodied (béchamel, coconut milk), the dish can withstand a little more spice so you might need to add more than the amounts I’ve listed in order to make sure the broth is super flavorful.






Mahi Mahi pieces (I used these from Trader Joe’s)
1 can coconut milk
1 lemon
1 lime
6-7 basil leaves
ginger powder, garam masala powder, chili powder, red pepper flakes (1/2 tsp each)
5 cloves garlic
4 carrots, julienned
½ cup bamboo shoots
*If I’d had them, I would have added 3 curry leaves and a couple kefir lime leaves as well

Marinate the fish in lemon juice for 30 minutes
Fry the garlic then add the carrots and bamboo shoots
Mix in your spices: ginger powder, garam masala powder, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and curry and lime leaves (if using).
Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a boil
Nestle the fish into the sauce, making sure the pieces are totally covered
Season with pepper and salt and add the chopped basil leaves.
Cook 15 min, covered.

Serve over rice or as-is, like a stew but make sure to sprinkle with a few fresh basil leaves and a squirt of fresh lime juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment