Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Easy-Peasy Fried Rice


So, I never thought I could like fried rice, but my roommate, Sharon made some for dinner the other night and I was completely enamored.

I guess you need a little back story here... See, I have a phobia of fried rice dishes because I get horrible flashbacks to the Chinese buffet my family used to go to. It was a bad, bad restaurant and I think it eventually had to close for sanitary (or lack of) reasons. I know it was bad and so I really should give this dish another chance, but I can't for the life of me convince myself to try it in a restaurant again. Key words here: in a restaurant.

When Sharon announced she could make fried rice with the leftover sausage I had in the fridge, I was surprised that the idea of revisiting one of my most feared dishes sounded so appealing. I suggested adding the cabbage I had in the fridge and so, with the addition of a couple eggs, a yummy meal was born.

Here's the recipe - you can add any type of meat and veggies you have on hand.

Make 3 cups of short grain rice and keep it warm.

In a wok, fry about 3 eggs over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 cups of chopped meat (we used sausage) and fry until the eggs are cooked and you look like scrambled eggs. Add 1 cup of red cabbage, chopped, and continue cooking until it is slightly wilted.


Add all the rice (this makes a lot - enough to feed 4-5 people). Mix everything together and raise the heat to medium high - this will start making the rice nice and crunchy.


Crack an additional 2 eggs into the mix and stir around until they are cooked. By doing this, you get little bits of egg stuck to your rice. Add maybe 3 Tbs of soy sauce, a dash of sesame oil, and 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Taste for seasoning - you might need to add a tad more soy sauce and sesame oil. Keep frying until the rice is a nice brown color and kind of crunchy in some spots.

Serve hot!

Homemade fried rice was a definite hit for me - I can't wait to experiment with this recipe. You can even make it more healthy by using brown rice - or using hot chili oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment