Friday, July 1, 2011

Filipino Feast: Lumpia and Pancit

It's been a while since I could post because for the next week/week and a half, I am babysitting my cousins. I have limited Internet access and am getting a good idea of what you parent bloggers go through :)

Here are a few Filipino dishes my good friend Alyssa's dad made for her - which she passed along to me because she knows how I love them. Her dad knows, too, since I request his cooking whenever I come into town. Thank you!!!!

First was Lumpia, an eggroll-like package - I got to try it both fried and fresh. Alyssa said her dad puts tofu, chicken, cabbage, and carrots in the fried ones. The fresh rolls get an extra mixture of suge/crushed peanuts and a fresh lettuce leaf. I wasn't sure how the flavors would go together when I heard he added sugar, but after tasting, I understood perfectly. The roll has the perfect combo of sweet, crunchy, savory, and YUMMY. I don't like deep fried things, but Alyssa's dad's eggrolls are the only ones that don't make me ill afterwards.

Fried

Fresh

The second thing Alyssa's dad made (which I first fell in love with 3 years ago) is Pancit. It's a Filipino noodle dish with chicken pieces, cabbage, salt, scallions, carrot slivers, and soy sauce (I think). I am going to ask Alyssa for the recipes because I'd love to recreate this. It's so fresh and simple. And great for summer because it's best if you eat it cold or at room temperature. If you know anyone with a recipe for these tasty treats, please pass them along!

No comments:

Post a Comment