Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Do you remember Mr. Hercule Poirot?



My mom is kind of obsessed with Poirot - you know, that famous Belgian detective with the awesome mustache? Her kids know this and we all use it as a ploy when we want her to stop stressing about "her papers" and sit down with us and relax. It's actually a good show/series and I find myself missing it when I'm alone with no cable and I've watched all my shows on hulu. So over Spring Break I snagged a few of her doubles and brought them back to Richmond.

I was in the mood for stir-fry but not the greasy take-out kind, so I decided to make my own. The creation was really yummy, and I was proud of the way I was able to salvage some things I thought had been transformed by the freezer-burn fairy.

What you need:

1 bag of Trader Joe Veggie Harvest (mushrooms, baby corn, carrots, broccoli, water chestnuts)
6 pieces of Trader Joe ice-glazed chicken tenders
3/4 red cabbage, sliced
1/2 package soybeans
2 cloves diced garlic
red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, garlic powder
soy sauce
peanut butter - the chunky kind
lo mien noodles

What you do:

Get your water boiling!!! I always forget this and am left waiting on the noodles.

Season your chicken however you like (don't forget a little olive oil) and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes - thaw it first, if using right out of the freezer.

Throw the noodles in the water - they should be done in about 8 minutes

In the meantime, make the veggies by frying the Trader Joe veggies in a little grapeseed oil until they are cooked warm. Add the garlic and cabbage and fry until the cabbage is just wilted, but hasn't lost it's purple. Add the cooked soybeans and set aside.

Now, I am only feeding one person, but I make enough for the whole week. By making the veggies separate from the noodles, separate from the chicken, I can assure nothing gets nasty-wilty and discolored. It's like each meal is fresh since I have to season it each day, too.

So, to assemble: in a saucepan, add the amount of veggies you want, some chopped chicken and the noodles. Add your seasonings - a spritz of lemon never hurt anyone if you have that onhand, a drizzle of soy sauce, and about a teaspoon of peanut butter. Stir over medium low heat for about 3 minutes - it's all cooked and hot anyway. Serve immediately.

This is the perfect meal because you can do all the hard work ahead of time. I purposely bake the chicken because I find it is nice a moist without adding too much extra oil - AND you don't have to worry about an extra dish or flipping every 3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment